Recently I was on a mission to cleanup the regurgitated mess that is the console.log file. It was complaining that 3 DTS file were searching for 2 specific textures… anyway, this sometimes happens.
During your work flow of creating a DTS you may apply a dummy texture or create more than one Material. Now something to be keep in mind is that Max has an interesting way of handling textures/materials and even if you simply delete the maps, links or material on a material ball it does not necessarily mean its been deleted from your scene. This sets your scene up for a potential danger; that even though a material is not linked to any mesh or polygon it may still be stored in the scene and exported by the Torque Exporter.
So how do you find and kill these hidden annoying textures or materials?! Its actually pretty simple, but as a colleague of mine said to me once, ‘btw – this is the world builders nightmare stray textures’… so its good to have a quick, simple method and heres one for you.
- Determine which material or texture is causing the problem…..
- Hit the ‘Get Material’ button. Its on the Material Editor and looks like a Blue Ball with an Arrow pointing at it.
- This will pull up the Material/Map Browser… next thing you need to click is the ‘Scene’ radio button on the left, under the ‘Browse From:’ section. This will pull up every map and material applied to a mesh in the scene. It will also show you which Materials are applied to which Meshes.
This should allow you to examine you scene and easily find and destroy any buggy maps or materials…
Well again, I hope this is helpful!!! Have a good one!!
This post has become rather popular, yet was originally written for people working with the Torque Game Engine. However I would really like to know your circumstances, in terms of why you found this post, because I would like to write an extended post, covering more aspects of the Material Manager. So please leave a comment telling me about your situation so I can expand this post. Thanx
- Delete All Missing Materials & Texture Files from Scene
- XRef in Max 9 with Nool DTS Exporter
- XRef Usage & DTS Export to Torque!!!